Gifted and Talented
‘Gifted’ children are those who demonstrate outstanding levels of aptitude (defined as an exceptional ability to reason and learn) or competence in one or more subject.
‘Talented’ children are those students who are distinctly above average in fields of performance including Art, Technology, PE, Music and Drama. They have skills or abilities that are developed systematically or that emerge gradually as aptitude is transformed into skill.
At West Lodge we recognise that every child has potential to develop gifts and talents and that some children are particularly gifted and/or talented.
We aim to nurture those gifts and talents by:-
- Identifying gifts and talents as early as possible.
- Offering a wide range of learning opportunities in and outside the classroom to all children which enable talents and gifts to develop.
- Adapting our teaching styles to support progression from a child’s individual starting point, challenging the gifted.
- Adapting the curriculum to offer children as many opportunities to take control of their learning and become increasingly autonomous.
- Developing curiosity, creativity and questioning to deepen thinking and extend understanding across all aspects of learning.
- Offering opportunities for children to participate in challenges, competitions, enrichment activities and performances.
- Celebrating achievement and individual contributions across all aspects of school life.